Re: [OM] 4T spot meter woes: Please advise

Subject: Re: [OM] 4T spot meter woes: Please advise
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:04:22
Not at all unusual or necessarily a fault. I get similar results from my Can-not-an-OM-on T70, which features center weighted averaging and fat spot metering modes.

The "problem" - if it is such - is that it's durned difficult to evenly light anything, even a neutral gray card. And the gray makes it even harder for our nekkid eyes to discern the gradations. But a sensitive light meter will spot the differences.

Other factors come into play also. Lenses definitely affect TTL metering. Most lenses exhibit a certain amount of light falloff - this will cause metering differences, especially when switching from averaging to spot. And the amount of variance can change with the aperture. Some lens designs even affect metering when focus is changed from maximum to minimum.

I guess this is why no matter how useful we believe spot metering to be, in the end we often wind up using averaging anyway - either by averaging several spot readings together, or just saying the heck with it and using the averaging metering mode.
Lex Jenkins
"It is a mystery wrapped in a riddle shrouded in an enigma powdered
with a paradox with little shiny sprinkles of bemusement on top."

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:33:26 -0500
From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Are any of you out there experiencing the following with your 4T: When focused on a uniformly luminous composition - say, a gray card - will a spot reading come up one stop under your center-weighted overall reading?