Re: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses
From: rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruediger Betzold)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:10:41 +0100 (MET)
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> >===== Original Message From "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx> =====
> >I was wondering about a few "best uses" for the (Oly) bellows with several
> >lenses. I hope someone can give me a conclusive answer:
> >
> >Firstly, in a book I have which was written by Pangerl (it's a 1982 Dutch
> >translation of a book based on The world of OM systems, and on a book about
> >the OM-10), in the section about copying slides it is deliberately mentioned
> >that "the lens" (Pangerl discusses the usage of the 80/4, the 50/3.5 and
> >normal 50mm lenses) should be set to infinity. In fact, he even added an
> >exclamation mark to that statement, which indicates to me that this is
> >probably not a misprint, but a well considered remark. Now, from what I've
> >gathered, the 50/3.5's close up aberration control group only kicks in when
> >the lens is set to the closest focus. IOW, when the lens is set to infinity,
> >as should be done according to Pangerl, this group will not kick in. Now the
> >question is: which setting should I really set the 50/3.5 at for best
> >results?
>
> Olaf,
> This won't be a conclusive answer but just a thought. Perhaps the close up
> aberration control is useful when using the lens itself in its most extended
> (close up) range.  When using bellows, extension of the lens itself is not
> required and therefore shouldn't be used, which would explain Pangerl's
> recommendation.

hmm, wondering, cause Pangerl wrote in the same book (german edition)
that if using the 2.0/85 lens (yes not the 4/80 !) in conjunction with
the bellow you should/must use the close focus distance  - IIRC -
so the close up aberrration control group can kick in.
I will check this again after being at home tonight
(now at job place) , I will check if what Olaf mentioned is in the german
edition (though it should but who knows ...) as in the dutch one.

Rudy