Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens makers

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens makers
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 00:29:16 -0800

... and Lex Jenkins <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> responded:

>Very unlikely it's a Kino-manufactured lens.  I believe they terminated
>their relationship well before 1990.  Tokina?  Komine?  Even Samyang/Phoenix
>is possible, based on similarities.  Haven't been able to find any more
>definitive info on the web.

In addition to the three versions of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm
zoom already mentioned here, there was a fourth (and final?) version:
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4 which had a rubber grip with an
embossed "Vivitar Series 1" pattern, and it accepted 58mm filters.
(It shouldn't be confused with the Komaine-made, identically spec'ed
3-rd version, which takes 62mm filters.)

This late version is not as sturdy or well-made as the previous ones,
and the rumor has it that it was made by (bleh! puke!) Cosina!  (I'll
need a serial number to confirm or disprove this.)

I never owned such a 4-th version lens, but it's depicted in my 1994
Vivitar brochure, so it may well be the lens Ray M. complains about.

Quality-wise, all those 4-th generation Series 1 zooms (there were
several!) were a disaster, and the fable Series 1 moniker was almost
ruined.  Talk about corporate greed, stupidity, and ineptness...

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA