Re: [OM] Digest V2 & UK repairs

Subject: Re: [OM] Digest V2 & UK repairs
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:01:02 GMT
Francois Rossi wrote:

>Secondly, I've just been quoted £80.00 + vat by Luton Camera Centre to give
>my OM-2 an overhaul that includes changing the light proof foam. That sounds
>very expensive considering I'll have shipping there and back as well. The
>total cost would make it close to buying an OM-2 body from Ffordes or MXV.
>Any UK member uses another repair place with descent prices?

Tbat's about right for an authorised service centre. I believe other list
members have had favourable experiences when dealing with Luton - please
correct me if this is wrong. You may have to bite the bullet and accept that
this is what it costs to service a complex camera and pay up or abandon your
OM2 (not recommended). It's part of the 'running costs'. However, you could
always ask around.

There's no certainty that the likes of Ffordes or MXV will give you a
recently serviced body. While they both offer generous guarantee periods, I
suspect they wouldn't be prepared to pay for a slightly off meter or
replacement of sticky foam.

Only yesterday I mentioned two other authorised service centres - Colchester
(Essex) and Camera Clinic (Co. Durham). In case you missed it the first time:

>If you ever want to use an authorised Olympus service centre my choice would
>be Colchester Cameras in Essex. Always helpful, do a great job and my OM1md
>came back looking like new. Tel: 01206 790009. Camera Clinic (also
>authorised service centre) in Chester-Le-Street, Co. Durham seem OK too, but
>I don't have their phone number to hand.

Simon E.