Re: [OM] Re: Scanning TMax 3200

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Scanning TMax 3200
From: "Harry Cutting Photography" <hcutting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:40:47 -0500
I've tried TMax 3200 every which way & have also found it to be very finicky
film.  I finally settled on this formula which is usually okay, though I
don't use the film much anymore unless I'm looking for that *high-speed*
look:  Exposure at EI 1600, Develop in Tmax regular developer diluted 1:4 at
75 degrees F for 8 minutes.  Continuous tank inversions first 15 seconds
followed by very vigorous slam of the tank; then one tank inversion every 30
seconds.  All processes at 75 degrees F including wash.  This thick film
seems more prone to retaining airbubbles than most so I really slam the
tank.  Come to think of it, I process exactly the same for EI 3200.  I scan
with a Nikon Coolscan neg scanner & like the results most of the time.
Images with vast areas of medium or light continuous tone are a real bear
though.  I don't know how many commercial labs would process this film this
way.  I think most of them use the RS version of TMax dev and shorter dev
times which might cause more graininess in this particular film.  Not sure
if you processed your film or sent to a lab.  Hope this is of some help.