Re: [OM] "...and the Times, They Are a Changin'..."

Subject: Re: [OM] "...and the Times, They Are a Changin'..."
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 21:03:49 -0600
Your story brought back memories of high school and early college when I
worked in two different camera stores.  That's when I got hooked on OM
equipment and started down the path to true Zuikoholism.  Perhaps that
really is the reason that I find myself, 23 years later, enjoying
photography as much, or more, than I did back then.  The world has changed
around me.  I can do so much more now, particularly with a digital darkroom,
than I ever could back then, but the bedrock of the equipment, the starting
point of every image, is my trusty OM equipment.  Recently I've been going
back to my roots, leaving the OM-4T on the shelf and using my original
bodies, particularly my OM-2.  As much as I like the OM-4T, and I truly do,
it just can't match the feel of my OM-1 and OM-2 in my hands.  I used a word
the other day, to a list member, on another topic, that I actually think
fits here too --- sensual.  There is just something about wrapping your
hands around on OM1 or 2, resting the camera and lens gently in your left
hand, and focusing on a favorite subject, that can't be described clearly to
the uninitiated.  And yet, to the true believers, that simple sentence
probably caused a reaction that brought back a favorite memory - a
photograph long forgotten, but cherished.

Ok, ok, it's getting late -- I just got back from the hospital, where Debbie
is once again, unfortunately---more surgery tomorrow, so I'm in a melancholy
mood.....

Tom

Earlier, John Robison waxed poetic:

<snip>