Re: [OM] Digest V2 & UK repairs

Subject: Re: [OM] Digest V2 & UK repairs
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 20:39:27 -0000
Francois Rossi wrote:

>Secondly, I've just been quoted =A380.00 + vat by Luton Camera Centre
to=
 give
>my OM-2 an overhaul that includes changing the light proof foam.
That=
 sounds
>very expensive considering I'll have shipping there and back as well.
The
>total cost would make it close to buying an OM-2 body from Ffordes or
MXV.
>Any UK member uses another repair place with descent prices?

and Simon Evans added
> Tbat's about right for an authorised service centre. I believe other
list
> members have had favourable experiences when dealing with Luton -
> please correct me if this is wrong.

AFAIK the Oly-authorised repairers (of which Luton is one) use a
standard price list given to them by Olympus.

I've had some stuff done by Luton Cameras and as far as I am able to
tell they have done a good job. I went to their Bristol branch, as
it's handy from here (Salisbury) (and on a bad day there's time to
step off the train at Bath on the way back and have a look in Ace
Cameras' window) - the guys there are very helpful. Standard stuff
like a couple of CLAs and a lens repair was at the standard Oly cost.
Some bits and pieces, like cannibalising an old 35RC meter cell, were
done without guarantee at very low cost.

 But they can't do the monster lenses in Bristol, they have to ship
them to Luton. In the case of my rain-damaged rugby beastie this has
added a week to the turnround time.

John