[OM] The elusive f2: aperture scale inaccuracy?

Subject: [OM] The elusive f2: aperture scale inaccuracy?
From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:17:29 -0500
This may be old news to most of you, but it was a revelation to me. It
happened like this:

I was swapping email with an OM defector - he was dumping his OM gear in
favor of another system.

He said, "Yeah, that Zuiko glass is nice - all those fast primes are great.
But you know, it disappoints me that none of them are actually f2 at their
widest aperture. Look closely at the aperture scale and you'll see that the
end of the scale is marked with a white line which *precedes* f2. You can
use the camera's meter to corroborate this. You'll see that an adjustment
from 2.8 to 2 by turning the aperture ring to its wide open position does
*not* gain you a full stop. All of my coveted, fast primes were the same
way - the 21, 24, 28, 50 Macro, and 100. I couldn't believe it. It's one of
the reasons I'm getting out."

I replied to him thusly:

"You're crazy. If Zuiko sold a lens with a misleading maximum aperture,
they'd be hung out to dry..."

Of course, I then examined the one f2 Zuiko that I own (85/2) and I saw
that he wasn't crazy at all.

So, to all of you, I pose this question: What gives???

Please reply to this post directly, if you would. I don't always have time
to sift through the long digest. Thanks.