Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:43:25 -0800

FWIW, I actually don't like using the rubber hoods - I tend to prefer rummaging thru "odds and sodds" boxes at camera shops and finding metal screw in hoods (making sure to check for vignetting). At about $2 a piece, I but whatever I can find and then play around when get home and try on various lenses. Obviously you want shallower, more widely flared lens hoods for WA lenses, narrower and longer for teles.

The metal hoods (I feel) give more protection to the lens in my camera bag, and are more effective in shading the front element. Also, if you lie a lens with fitted rubber lens hood down on its side (eg in your carry bag) you will notice that sometimes the rubber doesn't spring back to a perfectly round shape, but remains slightly deformed. This could interfere with the view of the lens.

just my (Australian) $0.02 worth.

cheers

peter

I think that lens shades are the one big screw up that Maitani made. If you have ever used bayonet lens shades, anything else is just primitive. If Oly can do it on the lens cap, why not the shade?

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA