Re: [OM] Diffuser for T20 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffuser for T20 Flash
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:03:39
If you wish to retain normal auto flash operation you might try a diffuser cut from a sheet of heavy white translucent plastic, like the stuff used by stained glass artisans. I got mine at a crafts store - very cheap, very handy. I cut a strip just large enough to fit over the flash window. A little tape holds it in place.

Because of the unhandy placement of the auto sensor on the T20 it's difficult to mount anything larger for more effective diffusion - it'll either block the sensor or redirect too much light toward the sensor, causing flash errors.

If you're content with all-manual operation I suppose a larger diffuser or even a LumiQuest version could be mounted somehow.

My original pie pan/styrofoam plate diffuser is mounted on a flash built much like the T20 - a simple auto flash unit with no bounce capability. To enhance the diffusion I faced the flash backward, toward the pie pan. Two problems with this: a separate cord and method of mounting the flash to the camera are needed; output is greatly reduced, requiring a flash meter for accuracy. But the results are excellent for close up work.
Lex Jenkins
"It is a mystery wrapped in a riddle shrouded in an enigma powdered
with a paradox with little shiny sprinkles of bemusement on top."

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:00:25 From: "Franklin Berryman" <faberryman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Diffuser for T20 Flash

Does anybody know of a diffuser made for the Olympus T20 flash?