Re: [OM] Re Gas prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Re Gas prices
From: George Conklin <gconklin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:11:57 -0800
The San Francisco Bay Area is reported to have the highest gas prices in the continental U.S.

Regular unleaded gas runs from $1.80 to $2.00 depending on location.

For many years the price of gas in the California central valley (inland about 80 plus miles from the Bay Area) has been 10 to 30 cents lower than the Bay Area. The tax structure on the gas is essentially the same

I live in Berkeley, some 10 miles south of several refineries. When that same gas is trucked said 80 miles inland, the price drops.

Each spring the broadcast and print news media all promise investigative reports on gas prices. After weeks of promotion they come up with some variation of whatever the market will bear.

I've also seen adjacent town on Long Island (New York) where prices will differ by 15 cents. Even the local residents say it is curious. I always wonder how the higher priced stations maintain a customer base.

  - George