Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...slide-on hood....
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:26:48 +1100
Hi TM

bought my 90/2 macro new back in the late 80's along with my first OM-4Ti, a 24/2.8 (this lens recently found a good home with a certain OM-list member in Iowa......) and a 180/2.8 (all new). The 90/2 didn't come with a hood or hard case, just a soft "leather" Olympus draw-string pouch lined with some kind of dark blue (I think) velvet material.

I still have all the boxes and papers and foam etc for all of these. I'm a real hoarder when it comes to important stuff like that !

So don't be too hard on them because they didn't have the hood !

cheers

peter

Dear Doc.......
U wrote......

The 90/2 macro uses the same rubber slide-on hood as the 135/4.5
macro if that helps, although the 90/2 didn't include a hood when
purchased new.

Strange that a hood is not provided even when brand new....... did U bought
new and experienced this ?

I actually mail-ordered a 90/2 (LNIB) and politely demanded the matching
hood, and was quite irked when they said they don't have the matching hood
cos it did not come with it..... I simply didn't believe in the possibility
of  hoodless brand new lenses.....

Oh.... they also said no pouch or hardcase also.... which makes me ask U
now, does it come with hardcase or pouch ? I KNOW that OM cleverly stashes
the hood in the lid of its hardcases !!!!!! So maybe it could have been
"lost" in there.... without them realizing it.....

thanks for your reply..... appreciate it ...

Peace
TMLee

the diam measurement of the slide-on Oly lens hoods isn't terribly
illuminating (pardon the pun) because , as you suggest it doesn't
tell you which lenses it will fit on.

For example, I have the rubber hood for the 90/2 +135/4.5, a rubber
hood for the 35-105 3.5/4.5, the rubber hood for the 35-70/3.6 and
the rubber hood for the 35-70/4.

all of these lenses have 55mm diam filter threads, but all have
different lens hoods.  I've never tried to mix and match them, but I
suspect that in addition to the angle and length of the shade, the
barrel diameter of each is different, therefore the hoods wouldn't
all be interchangeable.

there is a list of OM hoods and the Zuiko lenses they suit on a web
site. I think it is R Lee Hawkins Zuiko Lens site. Don't have the URL
at hand sorry.

FWIW, I actually don't like using the rubber hoods - I tend to prefer
rummaging thru "odds and sodds" boxes at camera shops and finding
metal screw in hoods (making sure to check for vignetting). At about
$2 a piece, I but whatever I can find and then play around when  get
home and try on various lenses. Obviously you want shallower, more
widely flared lens hoods for WA lenses, narrower and longer for teles.

The metal hoods (I feel) give more protection to the lens in my
camera bag, and are more effective in shading the front element.
Also, if you lie a lens with fitted rubber lens hood down on its side
(eg in your carry bag) you will notice that sometimes the rubber
doesn't spring back to a perfectly round shape, but remains slightly
deformed. This could interfere with the view of the lens.

just my (Australian) $0.02 worth.

cheers

peter

Dear All....
Whats a slide-on hood ? Is it that rubber hood that comes with a silver
knob
on one side to screw on to the side of the lens  ?

How many different sizes does it come in ?

A 57mm slide-on hood (I read somewhere) ..... does it mean it will fit
onto
a lens with a 55mm filter ?

What hood does the 90/2 Mac use ?

Peace