Re: [OM] The elusive f2: aperture scale inaccuracy?

Subject: Re: [OM] The elusive f2: aperture scale inaccuracy?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:41:32 -0800 (PST)
Lex Jenkins wrote:
If I'm understanding the contention of the fellow who's dumping his OM
gear, he's confused by the positioning of the f/stop markings on the
aperture ring. They're an approximation at best on most lenses - at
least in terms of what one might expect of scientific instruments - but
more than close enough for a camera. Using the camera's TTL metering
won't prove or disprove anything - especially with the OMs having
auto-exposure when used in auto mode (which is the best way to obtain
the use of incremental apertures and/or shutter speeds).  It would have
to be compared against exposures set based on incident or separate spot
metering.

Sounds like a non-issue to me.
I agree. Trouble is, some people are very finicky and demand absolute
accuracy even when there's nothing much to be gained from it. Auto mode
eliminates the need for the accuracy of manual settings anyway, as you
imply, and is supremely accurate in the OMs I've used. I contiunue to
be awed by the accuracy of OTF exposure metering!

My experience with manual mode on the 2n has been that it never gives
such good results as auto (with exposure compensation when required).
As far as I'm concerned, auto is the native mode of the 2n. On the
other hand, I've found the 2S to be excellent in all three of its modes
but I use manual mode only when spot metering is called for - maybe 20%
of the time.

Regards,

=====
Ray