[OM] 500mm mirror lenses

Subject: [OM] 500mm mirror lenses
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:43:53 +0000
Hi
I had a nice experience today. I dropped in on a local photographic shop (who sold me my OM2SP some years ago) and was asked if they could interest me in an Olympus 500 mm mirror lens (f/8) in good condition. I did not have time to give it a detailed examination and did not have a camera with me but it looks in very good condition cosmetically with no obvious optical problems. Price negotiable and I will be doing some research this evening - so far I have only found a price for a new Tokina lens and do not have 'Shutterbug' as recommended by Lee Hawkins. In fact I already have an f/8 Tamron SP 500mm mirror lens with an Adaptall 2 OM mount and four 30.5 mm filters.
Three questions then:
1) Is there anybody in the group who would recommend not trading up to the Zuiko, and if so why. Would the filters be likely to be usable with the Olympus lens. Are there any variants of the Olympus lens that I should be aware of - I have the serial number. 2) Is there anybody who would like to contact me off list because they would like to make an offer for the Tamron lens rather than having me trade it in as part exchange for the Zuiko? The lens is in good order although its hard case is a bit scuffed. 3) Where can I find some more prices I can quote to the dealer (Honest ones as we have dealt both ways in the past and I wish to keep on good terms). I have looked through my Olympus bookmarks and not been as successful as I expected.

A possible fourth question would be to ask if anyone wanted to follow up my discussions if I cannot agree a price with the shop - if so contact me off-list.

TIA
Brian Gray

Cheshire, UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx