Re: [OM] Re:way[OT] gas pains....

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:way[OT] gas pains....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:55:09 +1100
>> Greenhouse gas emission change, 1990-98
>>  U.S.       +11.2%
>>  Russia     -35.4%
>>  Japan       +9.7%
>>  Germany    -15.6%
>>  Canada     +13.2%
>>  U.K.        -8.3%
>>  France      +0.9%
>>  Italy       +4.4%
>>  Australia  +14.5%
>>  Ukraine    -50.5%
>>  Poland     -28.7%
>>  Spain      +21.0%
>>  Netherlands +8.4%
>>  Romania    -38.1%
>>
>> -Nick
>
>Deduct the positive effects of the massive forests in north America,
>Canada in particular, and north America is in large negative territory.
>
>jh

This is the 'carbon sink' argument, so beloved of the governments of N.
America and my own sweet land. They're crap arguments, of course, a mere
justification for doing bugger all - unless you are actually increasing the
extent of your forests dramatically! (Somehow I doubt it).
Russia has huge forests too and, I suspect, a substantially lower net or
gross contribution to the problem (I'll try and find the latest figures).
In the end, what really counts are the per capita figures.
Andrew
I'll now go photograph some trees.

Greenhouse - it's a bit like Pascal's wager. If we do something and it
doesn't exist, what do we lose? - dirty air. But if we do nothing and it
does exist - Oh shit!