Re: [OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:25:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, drchrisbarrett wrote:

> Perhaps a hybrid solution with a plastic disc (with the coin slot moulded in)
> and an attached metal bayonet might work.
>
> We'd need a couple of dies, one to cut out thin steel sheet, and one to press
> it into shape.
>
> Then the problem would be getting a strong bond between the plastic disc and
> metal bayonet.

Cut a trench in the plastic bit and punch a couple of small holes in the
mid-section of the metal strip.  Place strip in trench and apply molten
plastic over the top, allowing it to meld with the sides of the trough
and the bit under the holes.

I agree that an all-metal solution would be preferable though.  Why not
do that in two parts?  - a disc bit and a bent metal strip, spot-welded
together.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |