Re: [OM] OT (OM) Diesel exhaust and cancer (digest

Subject: Re: [OM] OT (OM) Diesel exhaust and cancer (digest
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:49:22 -0500
At 2:26 PM -0800 12/7/00, Lyle Olsen wrote:

I believe John Hermanson is quite correct (as btw isn't he always) in
the carcinogenicity of Diesel exhaust neo-debate (OM list digest 2015),
and it's not just the PAH's or particulates--I saw a brief newspaper
report about 4 - 6 months ago saying there's one particular chemical
that ranks among most carcinogenic of all chemicals ever tested. EPA is
expected to come down hard on diesel exhaust soon and I think
particulates and chemicals will both be targeted.  CO is a real drag (!)
but at least it isn't carcinogenic as far as we know.

Diesel produces more particulates and nasty hydrocarbons, but less
NOx, CO and CO2. So it's worse for people (carcinogen) but better
for the planet as a whole (less greenhouse gas, less acide rain).

Go figure.

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx