Re: Re: [OM] Re: Battery Question

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Re: Battery Question
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:19:04 -0600 (CST)

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Paul D. Farrar <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The PX625A is not suitable for the OM-1, even though the battery
> > guidebooks in stores like Walmart will say it is.
>
> That's what I thought.
>
> > If the camera has been modified to drop the voltage...
>
> It has.  That's why the PX625A is in it.
>
> > ...it may not cause damage, but its bad discharge curve will cause
> > meter readings to change with time.
>
> Not good!
>
> > If the camera has been modified, a 357 with a sleeve will work better.
> > I don't know of a Ag battery the same size.

> > 1. Wein Zn-air 625. www.microtools.com and many camera stores
> > 2. 675 Zn-air with sleeve. www.olympusguy.com
> > 3. CRIS MR-9 or similar adapter with 357 or MS76
> > http://www.criscam.com/ or www.zuiko.com
> > 4. Camera modification equivalent to 3 above with 357 or MS76
> > www.zuiko.com
>
> Thanks, Paul!  I appreciate the info!  I'll look into the Zn-air 625 or the
> 357
> with a sleeve.  One question, though...  doesn't the "sleeve" drop the voltage
> of the 357 from 1.5v to 1.35v???  If so, that's not good as the camera has
> been
> modified to take 1.5v so the lower voltage would mean wrong meter readings....
> right???

By "sleeve" I just mean an inert plastic tube that keeps the 357 from rattling
around in a space made for the bigger 625. If your camera has been modified
to allow for higher voltage batteries (usually by wiring a diode into the
circuit) you have no need for the Wein cells (1.4V) or the CRIS adapters
(which also drop voltage).

Paul