Re: Subject: [OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps

Subject: Re: Subject: [OM] Re: Motor Drive Caps
From: frankrad4@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:54:05 -0500
I vote for the duct tape.  I used to be a professional model maker,
making prototypes and mockups and pretty much anything for engineers,
designers and architects.  We even made stuff for the military and
museums, so we sort of specialized at making low production cast and
machined parts,then retooling for a completely different job.  I never
used a winder on my OM-1 but I just had to look at that cap after seeing
the interest in reproducing it.(I like a challenge) I have concluded
there is no way in hell I could economically reproduce that part.  The
main problem would be that undercut. It would be a problem in a mold as
well as in machining. It looks like one would have to stamp, machine and
probably micro-weld(I am still not sure of the bonding process unless I
remove the finish to investigate)  Micro fibers don't work well in such
thin areas as they are just part of a matrix and need to be in
suspension.  I don't like the idea of those tabs being made of plastic
anyway as they would wear and end up inside the camera.
         I thought maybe a cap made out of a flexible nylon would be Ok,
the edge would have a thin channel to seal all around the opening instead
of just on those two small areas sort of like a thin bung on a keg or a
grommet.  But I don't think that is such an elegant solution either
;therefor: I would go for the tape.  Cover the hole with some thin flat
stock,then tape, if the glue near the gear is bothersome.

                  Just my $0.02

                                       Frank