[OM] Scanning...

Subject: [OM] Scanning...
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:35:04 -0000
Well,

            I've been using my ScanWit for a few weeks now and, yes, both of
the springs on the first frame and the lower spring on the second frame have
broken off the slide carrier. Fortunately, the thing is still useable, and
Acer thoughtfully provided a second (which I am trying to stretch with some
empty slide mounts).

The main idea is to scan the very best slides, saving them as very big TIFFs
onto CD, and working from those whenever a new use for the photo presents
itself. However....

One big disadvantage of the big TIFFs is dust. I just can't seem to get rid
of it. Some of the slides seem to have so much of it that spotting them
adequately is next to impossible.

So how do you get rid of the dust, my friends?

Donald (blowing off in Larbert (sorry, couldn't resist the gaseous
thread...))

PS - Vuescan crashes my Dell XPS D333 (384Mb RAM, copious amounts of hard
drive) every time I try to scan. Let me preview one the other night, and it
looked not too bad, but click on scan and ZAP - won't reload Windows 95 and
insists I load in Safe Mode. Scrambles my desktop. Have deleted Vuescan
while I regroup.