RE: [OM] OM-PC owners

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-PC owners
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:30:12 -0600
> a.  Is it a reliable camera ?

As long as it isn't one that is developing 'degenerative circuit disease',
which many of them out there do have. You look for it by shooting in manual
mode at the slowest shutter speeds. If it is sick, the shutter  will hang
open (even with fresh silver cells) and won't close until the battery  is
removed. This is different  from the 'sticky magnet' problem that some have,
and it can't be fixed.

> b.  Has it got a metal top and bottom cover or is it of plastic?

The top and bottom cover are actually plastic with a copper plating.

> c.  It shutter sounds is very different from OM-G which I
> previously owned.
> Is it normal?

The shutter/mirror slap sound is much softer than the earlier (OM-G, OM-10)
'consumer' slrs, and I think it is due to better damping - so should be
capable of taking sharper pictures. I don't know how its  damping compares
with the OM-1,2,3,4 series, but it sounds different from those too.

Every OM-G I've ever used (well, that would be two of them) has a 'bone
jarring' shock when you take a picture - at least compared to the OM-PC and
the single digit OMs. This even with new mirror foam in the OM-G.

If you have a good one, you should really enjoy it!

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx