Re: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?

Subject: Re: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:17:14 +0000
At 23:29 12/9/00 , Micky Trageser wrote:
>Is there a handy reference I can look at to get an idea of inexpensive ways
>to gin up some studio lighting without spending an arm and a leg? I've tried
>the BG-2 with T32, and slaved Vivitar 283 for highlights, but I have a tough
>time getting it balanced. Just doing simple family stuff in front of the
>fireplace.
>
>Any personal experience or web links would be appreciated.

Try some bounce if your ceiling is white, you're not too close (about 8
feet or farther) and aim the bounce at a midpoint between you and subject.
I recommend a fire in the fireplace if it won't ignite your subjects.  The
firebox in a fireplace tends to be a black hole in the image without
something in it.  Unlike the wedding I just did in a cavernous church and
reception hall, bounce can be used very effectively in the smaller rooms
found in homes.  If you use bounce on the flash, try using a lamp with the
shade removed off to your side at an angle to produce the "catch lights" in
the eyes.  This is the one drawback to pure bounce; you easily lose the
"catch lights."

If I have enough light from a pair of T-32's I will use the 21mm WA
diffusion panels on them.  This also softens the light some, and the WA
diffuser tends to bounce light around the room more.  Sto-Fen makes some
devices you can place on the flash heads to soften lighting also.

I have given some thought to mounting dual flash heads on light stands
aimed into old umbrellas lined with the shiny side of untinted aluminum
foil.  Don't know how much this would reduce the GN, but it would be a
homebrewed version of strobes into reflectors.

-- John