Re: [OM] What Film

Subject: Re: [OM] What Film
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:20:38
My everyday film is Fuji Superia Xtra 800 (same thing as Fuji CZ). Good grain and sharpness for all-around use, tremendous flexibility for ambient light shooting, satisfying color saturation, moderate contrast. I've never yet run into a situation that the typical upper limit of 1/1000 @ f/16 couldn't handle without having to resort to neutral density filters. I use it like I used to use Tri-X when I had a darkroom. Best of all, it's readily available even in grocery stores here in the U.S.

For more "careful" work I'll use Fuji Reala when I can get it, Kodak Royal Gold 100 otherwise. Royal Gold offers terrific color saturation and resolution but tends to be too contrasty unless printed on lower contrast paper - which few processors keep in stock.

For projects where there should be no question regarding how the final output should appear - print or scan - I use slide films. I recently switched from Kodachrome to Fuji Provia 100F for my project documenting petrified wood structures - Provia has superior resolution and exposure latitude which not exaggerating the natural colors. I still love Kodachrome for subjects that don't require the very best resolution - people, flowers, etc. Kodachrome is the best film on earth for skin colors of every kind - it just loves people.

I also use a lot of the chromogenic monochrome films like Kodak T400CN/Black & White+. With a green filter it produces wonderful skin tones.
Lex Jenkins
"It is a mystery wrapped in a riddle shrouded in an enigma powdered
with a paradox with little shiny sprinkles of bemusement on top."