Re: [OM] Wanted: One Olympus E-10 Digital Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: One Olympus E-10 Digital Camera
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:01:13 +0800
Hi Dave,

After spending some time (actually a lot of time!) in thinking and checking
of many test photos and photos from the people that have negative comments
on the E-10's noise. I have came up a conclusion myself, the "noise" is not
CCD noise, it won't happen as the low light - long exposure performance of
E-10 is better than any DC below $2000, the CCD noise of E-10 should not be
poorer than other DCs at this range.

All single CCD cameras do not have RGB for each pixel, RGB colors pixels are
in very low quantity distribution on the CCD (perhaps 30%). So color must be
estimated/calculated and sometime a single color area have to be represented
by dots of different colors, similar to inkjet printer, grey need to be
composed by CMY colors. Of course they are not the same, but E-10 may use
similar way to generate the sky color due to some reasons. And based on the
samples from the anti-E10 guy, I would say the "noise" will not look too bad
on prints.

What I most concern is the noise on human skin at low light, the E-10
performed very well in this area. I don't know what firmware problem you
mean, but I do have some concern on the dead/hot pixels that so many people
reported.

Check again the site posted by Frieder Faig:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/testbilder/kameras_0025/default.shtml

Among Fuji S1 and Canon D30, E-10  won on a very important area that many
people may not note, check the "mesh filter" besides the color pencil. While
both S1 and D30 shown rainbow colors but the E-10's color is very pure
although a bit off but it is easy corrected with pre-set color temperature.

C.H.Ling