[OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !

Subject: [OM] My New Web Site - all OM users welcome !
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:45:50 +1100
Hi everyone

I'm pleased to announce that my Christmas present to the OM list members is *finally* ready to be unwrapped. It's certainly by no means complete, but it is now presentable and (I hope) improving daily.

This is my first "proper" web site I've ever built from the ground up myself, so it has been a real learning experience. I'd really like to thank Hans Van Veluwen and Mark Dapoz for their assistance, advice, encouragement and patience throughout the preparation for getting this site off the ground.

I have been an OM list member now for more than 3 years. I have enjoyed the collective wisdom and wit of the list during this time and have learnt so much about the OM System and the different ways that different people use their OM gear for different subjects. I feel I have made many e-friends amongst you all, and I hope that you will download and enjoy these OM brochures and other OM goodies as much as I have enjoyed them over the years.

I'd like to say a special thank you to the long term OM List "stalwarts" like the two Gary's (Reese and Schloss), Tom Scales, Hans Van Veluwen and Frank van Lindert , Denton Taylor, Giles, Shawn (although we don't hear much from Shawn these days he is vital to the life of the list), John Hermanson, Barry the BBB man in Hawaii, Joel W in Iowa and of course the irrepressible Doris, but also to everyone who contributes to the List - no matter how small you may feel your contribution . The OM List is a wonderful thing to be a part of, and this web site was done primarily as my way of saying (in a small way) "thank you" to everyone on the OM List who has taken the time to share their questions, thoughts, ideas, opinions, experience and knowledge with us all over the last 3 years or so.

So, I know you are all eager to dive in and see what Santa has left for you fellow Zuikoholics....

Some of the goodies that Santa has brought for all the boys and girls who have been good this year include....

* Colour OM Brochures

A growing list of full colour OM System brochures. These are the "serious" A4 (approx) brochures which epidemioligists now believe to be the cause of numerous spontaneous outbreaks of Zuikoholism. Avail for download as 150dpi pdf. Be aware that most are in the range of 4-8Mb, although some are larger and some are smaller. More brochures will be added as I get time.

* OM Eye Candy for Your Computer

A selection of 1024 x 768 resolution OM equipment product shots that you may find suitable for use as background wallpaper on your computers. Should work on either Mac or Win platform. I have (I hope) covered a wide range of OM tastes - ranging from black and chrome OM-1's for Foxy and the "purists" , OM-2, OM-2SP (for Joel) and a nice one of the OM-4Ti for the more avante garde. Santa even left something special for Susan - a shot of a black OM with a super gorgeous 55 F1.2. There is also a nice shot of an OM-1 and OM-2 on a piece of tanned leather hide (oooooooooohhh !!!), and a nice shot of the OM-3 and 4 together. Most of you will recognise these pics from the various brochures on the site - sometimes the aspect ratio and/or staples got in the way of a more pleasing OM "composition", but I have done my best.

If there is demand for higher resolution (1280 x or even 1600x) of these images I am happy to post these too - let me know.

* OM Print Adverts

A small selection of print-based OM advertisements from places such as Nat Geo, Australian GEO and Modern Photog. All downloadable as pdf.

* VisionAge

VisionAge section - I hope to flesh out the collection over the next few months. At the moment only issue #1 is avail (thanx Mark Dapoz!), but more will be posted as we get the time. I have Issues 10-18, so check back on a regular basis for further "installments". if anyone has Issues 2-9 (incl) let me know and we will arrange to get them scanned and posted to the site.

* OM-related  Reviews and Articles

A reviews and articles section which has a small number of articles at the moment but which I am sure will grow as I get time to scan and post more articles. As an example of things to come, I have an interesting magazine article (not posted yet) which talks about the issue of black cameras absorbing more heat. It includes a picture of something which may be even rarer than the Anniversary gold-plated OM-1 - a white OM-3 fitted with a white Zuiko 100F2. Not even Tom has one of these babies ! Apparently only two were ever made.....

* OM Instruction Sheets and Manuals

I would like to build up the library of OM eqt manuals and instruction sheets. Between Mark Dapoz and myself we have quite a large range covered. These will be added to the site as time permits, and will hopefully build into quite a nice reference library. These will include the single-page spec sheets that shipped with equipment and also the thicker A5-size group booklets.

So, now all you need is the address - here it  is....

http://www.deakin.edu.au/~peterg/index.html

Please feel free to let me know if you find any broken links or if you have suggestions for improving the site. I'd like to add my site to the OM Web Ring if someone can give me a pointer on how I go about doing that.

Contributions from List members to the site are always welcome. If you have any approx-A4 OM colour brochures or OM print adverts that I don't have on the site and would like to make them avail thru the site, please contact me before you start scanning them. I'll send you some guidelines regarding resolution etc and step by step instructions if you need them.

Also, can anyone point me to where the famous OM-4 Torture Test article can be found? I had a copy of it somewhere but can't locate it - I'd like to put that on the site too.

Please enjoy your Christmas OM goodies  and "thank you everyone"

Sorry about the long post.....

peter