[OM] Gary Bernstein & 50/3.5 macro

Subject: [OM] Gary Bernstein & 50/3.5 macro
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:11:41 -0800
In his "Lecture Notes & Private Journal" part of which is available
on-line at

http://www.zuga.net/zuga/Journals/Gary/Body.htm

Gary Bernstein specifies his three favourite lenses for studio work [50
/ 1.2, 55 / 2.8 macro], and 105 / 2.8-3.5 macro] and says about the
55/2.8 macro:

"Although its field of view is similar to that of a normal lens, the
configuration of the elements in a macro lens creates a flatness of
field similar to that of a short telephoto lens. The 55mm Macro serves
as a backup lens for my normal lens and my short telephotos as well.
It's ideal for intimate closeups of couples - particularly if shot at
unusual angles" [page 41]

Bernstein makes no reference to the brand of equipment he uses.

I have not used my 50 / 3.5 macro as anything other than close up work.
However, I am wondering if Bernstein's comments about the flatness of
field apply to the Zuiko 50 / 3.5 macro.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC