RE: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?

Subject: RE: [OM] studio flash done cheaply?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:41:00 -0500
Mickey,
The current Sunpak unit is the 444D.  The OT-1D adapter is current (that is
until Sunpak supposedly dropped it about 6 months ago. The 422D, 433D, 30DX
and 36DX are older, but close to current models.  The only one I would stay
away from is the 433D, the shoe is not removable or interchangeable.  422D
is excellent.  The DX units are the international models.  I have a 30DX and
it is virtually the same as the 422D.

The Vivitar flashes I listed are no longer current, but they are readily
available on eBay and in many camera stores as used product.  Most of the
Vivitar series were produced beginning in 1981.  As an example, there never
was an AF version in the Nikon or Canon line. Auto-exposure yes, but not AF.

Vivitar also made an excellent handle-mount unit, the 3900.  It has a guide
# of 120, variable output and used 6 AA's.  Uses the same adapters as the
3700 and 4600, but a different (DSC-2) extension cord.  Head has swivel and
bounce.  Audio ready signal as well as light.

The Metz 321 adapter is current and will work on ANY SCA-compatible flash on
the market.  These include models from Metz, Osram, Regula and Cullmann.
These manufacturers have elected to cooperate on adapters, so any flash made
by these companies allows interchanging the various adapters.  The Metz
32CT3 and 4 are not current, but readily available used. The Metz 32CT3
looks much like a T32, but has both bounce and swivel as well as a battery
check function. Current 32 and 40 series units are designed to use the 3xxx
series of adapters, but can also use the 3xx adapters with no problem.  Even
the powerful 60 series (GN 197 ISO)can use the 321 adapter.

Metz has a Multi-Connector series (SCA 305) that has similar function to the
Olympus Multi-Connector.  Difference is that the Metz can extend up to 45
feet compared to the Olympus 15 feet.

The Cullmann DC25 and 32 models are similar to the Vivitar 3700 series.

Brian P. Huber