[OM] OM-1n

Subject: [OM] OM-1n
From: "Albert Yang" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:19:49 -0800
I posted this at photographyreview.com, but I thought I'd ask the
list, couldn't hurt right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Background: So one of my friends is looking to buying a camera, I
haven't been interested in photography for a while, but he got me
all rilled up about it again. He's going to buy a Canon Elan7E. I'm
not very convinced that the hi-tech gizmos produce that great of a
pic if the photographer sucks.

So I went looking for a manual SLR that is:

1) Affordable (Sorry Leica and Zeiss!)
2) Dependable (Proven track record)
3) Rugged and Durable
4) Small enough to actually be carried everywhere

Some of those Nikon's are just WAY too big. So I did a LOT of
research, and concluded on Olympus OM-1n as the best bet. It's small,
seems rugged from what people say, and the only real problem I hear
about is the meter battery.  Also, I didn't know too much about the
Zuiko lenses, as far as their quality with comparisons to Nikkor,
Zeiss, and Leica etc...

So after reading every piece of lit on this camera and the lenses,
there are still a few questions in my mind and I'm hoping you guys
can answer them...

1) So what is the solution for the fact that the batteries are no
longer made for the OM-1's meter? I hear that the newer batteries
are 1.55 V and ruin the reading and might break the meter.

2) Is there an actual Zuiko website that describes all the Zuiko
lenses in detail from the manufacturer? Olympus's website doesn't
cover it.

3) If the lenses are as good as say Leica, Zeiss, Nikkor etc.. Then
what am I missing here? Or is this just he hidden bargain of a
lifetime? I can probably buy one of these with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for
under $200, so is that basically the diamond in the rough?

Thanks guys (and gals)!
Albert

P.S.  Om-2n's do NOT have mirror-lockups.  Should I go for one of
those, or is mirror lockup a great consideration?  I don't even know
when to use it!!