[OM] ....what do U do with .....?

Subject: [OM] ....what do U do with .....?
From: drchrisbarrett <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:42:58 -0800
TMLee wrote:

"What do U guys do with the plastic empty film containers from shooting
so
much film ?"

We use them for the usual purpose of keeping small items (paper clips,
drawing pins etc.).

My son Alex came home on Tuesday with one filled with the latest product
of his Chemistry Club experiment.

I also use them for keeping coins (e.g. foreign coins from overseas
trips, ready for the next time). They are just the right diameter to
keep UK £2 coins in. I keep them as my emergency money. I haven't yet
managed to fill one, but I've collected up to 12 coins in one container.

The other use I've found is as a tropical fish feeder. I buy small cubes
of frozen food (mosquito lavae, tubifix worms etc.). If I drop them
straight into the tank they thaw and disintegrate too quickly and make a
mess. So I've taken a container and drilled 4 1/8" (3mm) holes in the
bottom. I place a cube inside and put the lid on. I place it in the tank
upside down until it fills with water, then turn it the right way up.
The fish smell the food and spent the next hour or so pecking away at
the container, which causes small amounts to drop out of the holes.

OM content: I've found a good way to photograph fish is to point a T20
into the top of the tank, connected by cable to the camera. The light is
dispersed nicely over the whole tank so it is possible to take pictures
of fish anywhere. Light is also reflected off the gravel at the bottom,
giving some fill-in.

Chris Barrett
Malvern UK