Re: [OM] Lens Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Storage
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:48:59 -0800
In a message dated 12/15/2000 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< I'm beginning to wonder - are Tamrons particularly susceptible? I've
lost
an older one that way, seen some awful Tammie victims and now this. >>

I don't think my experiences are a reflection on Tamron's lenses at all.
The lens that got it bad was a Tokina and it was used in humid and rainy
conditions at Detroit and Miami in 1987. Add to that the house I lived
in at the time (more on that in a moment) and well...I know what
happened. The Tamron was the replacement for the Tokina, bought new in
1990. It too was at a very humid and rainy race weekend early on in it's
life (1991 in Toronto) and came home to the same house. It should be
noted that the Tamron has only a very slight hazing at the edge of an
element in the middle, has been that way for years, and has gotten me
some great results since and I do not believe the slight haze effects
image quality at all...at least if it does I have not noticed it (BTW,
that lens...a SP 60-300 f3.8-5.4...is going to be for sale if anyone is
interested and still works quite well). I'm not even sure that it is
fungus in the Tamron actually...like I said, a very slight haze. The
Tokina OTOH had big nasty blossoms between the front two elements all
the way around (clearly visible in the eBay picture and someone still
paid 10 bux for it...amazing).

And on 12/15/2000 "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> goes on to write:

<< If you have lost a couple lenses to fungus then perhaps your house is
not
dry enough? >>

Thank you for the advice Giles! I had hoped to start thinking about
getting a 1.4XA, a new backpack (hoping the beast will fit in a
mini-trekker, will check this weekend since that is high on my wife's
Xmas list) and hadn't really thought about storage. But you're right,
solid as that aluminum case may be it certainly isn't air-tight.

The house issue is long gone. Sold it in November 1993 (for about $300k
less than it would be worth today...sigh) when my ex-wife and I were
breaking up. We did have moisture problems where the closet walls would
develop mildew and when that happened, guess where my camera gear was
(all stored in a Lowepro Magnum 35 Bag with some silca gels but nowhere
near enough. I am fortunate that my only nice Zuiko at the time (200/4)
survived (it is still fine but always stored inside the Oly case with
silca packets). The house Lena and I have now has no such
mositure/mildew problems and tends to be pretty dry but we are in a
marine climate and live less than a mile from the beach.

So, keep the storage ideas coming. What's with this dry box idea? I
could conceivably build one in the upper corner of my closet I suppose.
Obviously the big concern is keeping that big expensive Zuiko happy...

Just scored a small fire safe (brand new) from a yard sale so all my
cataloged slides now live inside it. Getting there...

Thanks all!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com