[OM] [OT] Sniping

Subject: [OM] [OT] Sniping
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:24:58 -0600
Brian,

Well, I'm lost on your point. If you point is that the threads on ebay and
sniping don't interest you, please note that we have been very careful to
put [OT] in the heading.

I actually think your point might be that all of this is a hassle because we
can't just walk into any shop and buy nice shiny new OM equipment.  We're
part of the problem, since by buying used, we're not making OM profitable.

We love our Zuikos and often ebay is the only place, let alone the cheapest
place, to find the equipment we desire.  The acqusition (and subsequent use)
of this equipment is kind of the point of this list.

Many people don't like ebay and find discussions of ebay, even if they
involve OM equipment, tedious.  That's the point of the [OT].

Did I miss something?

Tom
From: "brian AM" <brianam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> So, out of character for moi --both to post and to rant-- i thought i'd
share a vibe that has been building of late.

> i've been very much enjoying the OM system since i did my own 'net
research and opted for the brand earlier this year.  Now have 2 bodies, and
6 of the more-common lenses.  My oversized, and overcomplicated autofocus
camera system went unused, and is now up for sale.
> my relevant comment here comes on the availability of Zuiko lenses--and
the lengths it seems some go to get them.

> Scott, your message below is , to me, imcomprehensible. May as well have
been Greek.   Its possibly the only thing that has become more and more
upsetting about owning and shooting Zuiko glass is that you often *can't
easily find it*.

> Am i alone in my complete disinterest to spend hours on eBay bidding &
battling to buy camera equipment?  Hell, i live & work in San Francisco at
an internet startup and i have NEVER logged onto eBay.  odd?  maybe.  but if
i want to buy a decent lens used, why should it be necessary to surf for
hours, or pound the pavement to every random pawn shop in town?  getting a
'gonna-brag-about-it' deal is not worth the effort, to me at least.

> So, thats my piece.  Sorry for the gripe.  i hope to have continued
happinness (and good results!) from using Oly OM equipment, but i think i
have learned now why some people are slaves to the marks of Nik*n and Can*n:
YOU CAN GET A FREAKING LENS WHEN AND WHERE YOU WANT ONE.