Re: Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sniping

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sniping
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:02:06 -0700
At 08:35 PM 12/15/00 -0800, 'brian A.M.' wrote:

[snip]

i've been very much enjoying the OM system since i did my own 'net research and opted for the brand earlier this year. Now have 2 bodies, and 6 of the more-common lenses. My oversized, and overcomplicated autofocus camera system went unused, and is now up for sale. my relevant comment here comes on the availability of Zuiko lenses--and the lengths it seems some go to get them.

[snip]

...i think i have learned now why some people are slaves to the marks of Nik*n and Can*n: YOU CAN GET A FREAKING LENS WHEN AND WHERE YOU WANT ONE.

Understandable. For the last ten to fifteen years, Olympus (in 35mm SLR cameras, anyways) has been more of a "trials and tribulations" system -- in Canada, lenses (and deals on them) are rarer than warm days in February. Most of the Canadians I know who use Oly equipment regularly have to shop on places like eBay, for there's no supply elsewhere for used, or buy from New York mail-order houses like B&H ('cause there's no other place to find new, or new is outrageously priced here in The Great White North). That's been my modus operandi with Olympus equipment since the early 1980s (for B&H) and the mid-90s (for eBay).

You shop where the availability's at.

Mind you, the next generation digital cameras will probably attract me away from 35mm film-based systems for good. A professional photographer friend of mine and I had dinner last night, and he's just applied for a loan to purchase a Fuji S1 (digital body, takes Nikon lenses) plus various and sundry stuff to make it sit up and bark. (He really likes the Olympus dye-sub printer -- thought it produced awesome output, and, as he says, "No more colour seps! I'm finally in control of the entire production process if I want to be!")

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/