[OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:49:20 -0800 (PST)
Dear All,

I'm curious to know how and when List members got into the OM system.
OM has never been the most popular brand, so I would imagine most
OM-ers either chose the system because of some particular feature they
wanted or inherited it.

In my own case, I saw an OM-10 with 50/1.8 lens in a camera shop whilst
on holiday in Kyoto (I think 1981) and remembered that a colleague in
Sydney had raved about Olympus. Since the Praktica SLR (yuk!) that I
had taken with me to Japan had developed a meter problem and I noticed
fungus growing on the pentaprism, I was ready to buy something better.
So, I bought the OM-10 and enjoyed using it for a couple of years.

Then, one day, I borrowed a copy of "The Olympus OM Way" from my local
public library at Mona Vale, Sydney, and was fascinated by the
extensiveness of the OM system. That book, long out of print, has very
detailed information about the OM system, up to the OM-2. From reading
it, I became determined to get an OM-2, which I did in 1983, in Hong
Kong, on my way to England (actually an OM-2n). I bought a 28mm/2.8
Zuiko at the same time.

In 1985 I bought an OM-2S in England (I still use it) and passed the
OM-2n to my son together with a Zuiko 35-70/4.0 zoom and a Tamron
80-210 zoom. My own modest 'collection' remained the same fro several
years after that: OM-2S, Zuiko 28/2.8, Zuiko 35-70/4.0, Vivitar 70-210
zoom and T32 flash plus off-camera TTL cord.

Since I joined this List less than a year ago, I've acquired Zuiko
21/3.5, 50/1.4 (SC), 50/3.5 macro and 100/2.8 lenses plus another OM-2n
body as a back-up. I plan, one day, to replace the Vivitar zoom, which
has body rattle and zoom-creep, with something better.

Regards,

=====
Ray