Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:13:04 -0500
At 8:49 PM -0800 12/17/00, Ray Moth wrote:

I'm curious to know how and when List members got into the OM system.
OM has never been the most popular brand, so I would imagine most
OM-ers either chose the system because of some particular feature they
wanted or inherited it.

In my own case, I saw an OM-10 with 50/1.8 lens in a camera shop whilst
on holiday in Kyoto (I think 1981) and remembered that a colleague in
Sydney had raved about Olympus. Since the Praktica SLR (yuk!) that I
had taken with me to Japan had developed a meter problem and I noticed
fungus growing on the pentaprism, I was ready to buy something better.
So, I bought the OM-10 and enjoyed using it for a couple of years.

[snip]

I was seduced by Olympus's advertising in the late 70s.

I had a used Minolta SR-1s in high school (still do) with a couple of
off-brand lenses and a light meter. But when I flunked out of college
and decided to Find America, that didn't seem like the right camera.
So I got an OM-1 md, based on the reputation ofr ruggedness and the compact
size, plus the fact that I'm left-handed, so the OM controls are perfect
for me.

I built up a kit with vivitar lenses (even then zuiko cost too damn much):
28, 35-105/4.5, 100-300/5 plus a winder and took some pretty darn good
pictures if I do say so myself. Then work and life intervened. A few rolls
on vacations and other trips (one shot from east berlin even got published,
but that was pure chance).

That kit went away in a burglary about 1992, and it wasn't until a few years
ago that I decided I deserved a real camera again. 2sp, then a 1n from eBay,
more lenses than I really need (24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4/1.4/1.8,
85/2, 100/2.8, 200/4, tamron80-200). I've even started taking pictures again,
thinking about setting up a darkroom so that I can do B&W effectively,
scanning the backlog...

I must say though that the instant feedback from digital is very sweet,
even if the image quality sucks.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx