[OM] RE: How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: [OM] RE: How and when did you get into OM?
From: Sam Shiell <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:02:58 -0000
Well, my excuse was that back in (I think) 1975 I wanted a "proper" camera.

The choice ended up being between my trusty OM1 (still working) and a
Nikormat. Embarrassing to say, but at that time I was 22 and very heavily
into owning impressive toys. I went for the Oly because (a) the Nikormat was
a baby Nikkon, not the real thing, and (b) I'd seen loads of ads featuring
Pro photographers showing their Oly's that still worked after being blown-up
or dropped set on fire.

Being somewhat heavy-handed at that time it was the toughness that was the
real seller (and also the Ad featuring Peter Sellers!), which was handy
because I can tell you from experience how high an OM1 with a 35-70 zoom
bounces.

Regards,

Sam Shiell