Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: Chip Stratton <chipstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:01:16 -0800 (PST)
Sometime around 1980-1982 I bought my first SLR. Being
a bit of a technogeek, I went for the Minolta XD-11
because of all the whistles, bells, and both shutter
priority and aperture priority exposure modes.

It didn't take long for the Minolta to get a bit flaky
after going on backpacking trips with me, and the
'leather' began to peel, and its true colors as a
consumer grade camera became apparent. I also realized
that shutter-priority mode wasn't all that useful.

In the meantime, I had become more familiar with the
35mm SLR world in general, and knew that the new
Olympus OM-4 was for me. I sold the Minolta kit to my
brother cheap (he still has it but uses it rarely) and
bought the OM-4 and a Tokina 28-85 zoom as my one and
only lens. I couldn't afford any more than that at the
time but the combo served my purposes perfectly.

Though that Minolta has needed 3 CLA's since new, my
OM-4 has never required any, and still looks pretty
good despite some hard use.

I had let the photgraphy interest fade over the years
until I bought an Oly digital camera 2 years ago and
rekindled my interest in the sport. This list and ebay
only threw gasoline on the fire and I've expanded my
OM kit dramatically since then, and am shooting more
than I ever did before.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx