Re: [OM] Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Question
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:56:45 -0800
Albert Yang wrote:

> Am I suppose to stick something like a colorless UV filter in front
> of my camera to protect the lens?  My question is, how does the
> filter effect the sharpness and overall quality of the picture?
>
> Thanks.
> Albert

One day I'll try taking some photos without a UV filter in place and see
if I can discern any improvement in image quality. I suspect that any
degradation caused by a high quality filter is minuscule. Poor quality
filters are probably another story.

On the subject of filters is anyone able to offer advice about how to
clean them so as to remove any trace of grease, smear, and other surface
residue? I have tried conventional lens tissues, generic lens cleaner, a
product called "ROR, and lint free lens cleaning clothes but all of them
leave slight traces of residue.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC