RE: [OM] (OT) which med format?

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) which med format?
From: "Welliver, H William" <hwellive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:43:02 -0500
Greetings! I'm a relatively new medium format user (about a year now) and I
recently wrote a post to the list about my experiences. I don't have it onhand,
but you might check the list archives (
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html ). I also wrote a follow up with
another user about that topic that expands on some of the statements I made in
the first post. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Original message follows:

After I sent the first message, I thought of a few other things I wanted to
share based on my experiences. I have to say that the larger negatives are a big
advantage if you do any darkroom work. My hands are just to big to work well
with 35mm.

Since you mention the possibility of doing macro work, you definitely want to
stay away from the seagulls, because they use an odd filter size, and you will
have difficulty finding any accessories to fit it. The Rollei Automats (with
Xenar or Tessar lenses), Minoltas and Yashicas both use the same size
attachments, which is called Bayonet I. The newer Rolleis use different bayonet
sizes (3.5A through Fs and 2.8A through Fs), and are more expensive to get. You
can get very good close up sets (called Rolleinars) for bayonet equipped TLRs
that have optics in the viewing lens that correct for parallax at close
distances.

When I went looking for a TLR, I was originally going to get a Yashica because
of the price, but when I got to the store, there was the Yashica, a Minolta and
2 Rolleis on the shelf, all within 20 dollars of each other. After examining the
others, I ended up with the Rollei. All else being equal, the best value is the
Rollei (Automat or Rolleicord V are your best bet.) That said, I've heard good
things about the Minoltas, and rumor has it that they were made in japan from
original rolleiflex castings. The Rollei and Rollei derived types above are
really not that large and bulky especially since they normally hang around the
neck for waist-level use they are also probably most like OMs as far as elegance
goes. By virtue of their design, most TLRs are also extemely quiet.

The Mamiyas are supposedly very for portrait work in the studio, and some models
employ bellows focusing and have interchangable lenses. You might even be able
to find a new old stock body sitting in a store somewhere. The downside is that
they are extremely heavy, and not nearly as elegant as some of the other makes.
If you're talking strictly optical quality, look for a Rollei or Zeiss Ikon
first, Mamiyas should be a close second.

Bill