Re: [OM] Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:39:31 -0700
At 08:56 AM 12/18/00 -0800, John Hudson wrote:

[snip]

On the subject of filters is anyone able to offer advice about how to
clean them so as to remove any trace of grease, smear, and other surface
residue? I have tried conventional lens tissues, generic lens cleaner, a
product called "ROR, and lint free lens cleaning clothes but all of them
leave slight traces of residue.

John:

You're never going to believe this, but what the Hell...

I use Windex and high-quality (but without additives) toilet paper. (I can hear the howls of disbelief already.)

Hey, it *works*. The only comparable method in my opinion is methanol with optical-quality tissue or microfibre.

I had a number of 67mm filters that I had carelessly stored, which were covered with fungal bloom. After trying the usual suspects, in frustration (because I thought the filters were a write-off anyways, so what did I have to lose?) I tried Windex/toilet paper. I've never looked back. Mind you, for typical cleaning I use methanol etc. It's only when you're faced with stubborn, intractable gunk that I'd try the Windex. Sometimes, nothing else seems to clear off the grease.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/