Re: [OM] What is best perfoming wide Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] What is best perfoming wide Zuiko
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 01:25:32 +0000
At 04:16 12/18/00 , John (Pandionhalietius) wrote:
>I know of the lens test and I like to use those as a great reference, but
>what about the best "overall" lens?  I am not into too much distortion-is a
>24mm f2 MC Zuiko tops?
>Curious..
>Thanks
>
>John

John,
This depends on how you define "distortion."  If you are talking about
barrel or pincushion, then the 18/3.5 is a superb super-wide.  It is also
the "widest" (shortest) rectilinear (non-fisheye) OM Zuiko.  A number of
list members rave about the 21mm f/2 Zuiko and it is a superb lens too.

A rectilinear this wide though will produce exaggerated perspectives
compared to what we see with our unaided eyes.  Sometimes these can be
intriguing with an aesthetic all of their own.  Other times it can be
downright ugly and/or distracting if you are not careful.

Some people incorrectly refer to the exaggerated perspective of a
super-wide rectilinear lens as "distortion."  Granted it is distorted from
the perspective seen by human eyes, but it is not distorted by the
definition of a rectilinear lens.  If this is what you intended (noticeably
exagerated perspective) then the shortest lens that is forgiving in this
respect is a 28mm.  The 28/2 Zuiko is a superb lens.

-- John