[OM] re: way to OM

Subject: [OM] re: way to OM
From: Hans-Jürgen Hertz-Eichenrode <hertz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:37:26 +0100
Hi all,
my way to OM:
Love at the first sight at the age of 13 ? not in any way supported by
knowledge; in the contrary ? when looking through the window of the
local photo-shop I failed to find the viewfinder  (using my father´s
Voigtlaender, on that day started looking for a device for
interchangeable lenses I read about in a newspaper-article) and wondered
about the strange numbers where usually seemed to be the knob for the
shutter-speeds. Two  months I looked through that window nearly every
day, compared with the outer appearance with Minolta SRt`s, Canon
FtbQl´s, Nikon FM, found that camera so well designed that at the price
of 1000 DM with 50/1,8 it could not be really bad, and when I realised
that the owner of the shop himself used this new camera with lots of
OM-components (a very good photographer by the way) I took all the money
I had, went into the shop, took it in my slightly trembling hands, made
a shot and bought my first OM-1, first generation, not for motor-use or
winders, but VERY smooth shutter release and and film transport, better
than all my later models to be added over 27 years of OMism (two further
OM-1/n, OM2 N ? dead now, urgently need a cheap but working one,  OM2 S,
OM4 Ti  followed - none of these esp. not the 4 Ti in no way comparable
to the mechanical finesse of the first OM1). I never had to regret this
decision, no news to that list;-).

Best regards
Hans-Juergen Hertz-Eichenrode

c/o European University Viadrina Frankfurt /Oder