Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:27:44 -0000
I was almost forced into buying my first OM-1n. In the early '80s I was
using a Kiev 4 rangefinder outfit and was totally happy with it but I went
out to buy a cheap SLR to supplement it just for a close-up range that the
Kiev lacked. I bought a used Zenith but its meter needles were binding on
each other so I returned it, paid a bit extra to exchange it for a Soligor.
Tried it out overnight and just didn't like it, so I returned it the
following day.

The shop manager was hopping mad - I think he'd been delighted to have got
rid of it - and told me there was nothing else in his second hand stock to
swap it for. I told him I'd rather pay extra for a new SLR than be stuck
with the Soligor and as he stocked only Olympus OM or Contax RTS ranges, I
had to choose between them. As I'd been a Pen F/FT user for many years and
knew little about the then modern Contax, the choice was pretty obvious, and
my credit card took a hefty blow for which I hadn't been prepared. I chose
an OM-1n, 50/1.8 and let myself being talked into buying the usual UV filter
and lens hood.

I can still remember the delight of getting it home, seeing the inside of
our flat through the huge viewfinder and remarking that it felt just like an
SLR version of my old Leica M2 of many years before.

The shop manager was much friendlier after that, and I went on to buy a new
OM-2n from him a few years later. Sadly though, in order to expand my OM
system, financial pressures meant that I had to sell my Kiev outfit, and
it's only been this year that I bought another one - er, well four, and
there's another variation on its way from Ukraine. Now that I have 'enough'
Zuikos I am already breaking my resolution not to look for Kiev fitting
lenses! Luckily, thanks to finding an on-line dealer in Ukraine, this
obsession is much less costly to feed than 'lympus Lust.

-Keith