[OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: mnmitch <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:59:45 -0600
Oh Boy,
Back in 1980, I departed on a West Pacific cruise aboard the aircraft
carrier USS Constellation.
I was 22 years old and had decided that I was going to buy me a real
camera as soon as I could afford one, you know, a N*kon,a real camera. I
had a Petri rangefinder that I had bought with my on money from a pawn
shop when I was 15, and it was my pride and joy, but I wanted a Nikon
like I saw in all the photo mags.
About 3 weeks into the cruise,we pulled out of Hawaii and two men came
into our electronics shop
and our shop chief informed us that they were here to make an industrial
video on some of the equipment in the shop. They started hauling their
equipment in and lo and behold they had bags and bags on N*kon
equipment. Well I was in heaven and soon buddied up with these guys and
they let me help out and of course I got to handle those N*kons. The day
before they were to fly off the ship I was talking to the older of the
two men and asked his advice on which N*kon to buy when we pulled into
the Phillipines. He looked me straight in the eye and said if he was
going to buy a new camera it would be an Olympus, their new OM2n was the
greatest thing going.
Well my bubble was burst, all those years of longing for a N*kon and now
a guy that is a pro photographer tells me to buy an Olympus. I was
stunned.
  A week later I'm standing in the Base Exchange looking at the
cameras,still set on a N*kon, I ask to see the OM2n. What can I say, it
was black,just beautiful, everything just felt right.
I walked out of there with a black -2n and 50mm 1.8 for $495. Got a
Vivitar 70-210 f3.5 for $179 to go with it. Later in Singapore I picked
up a Soligor 28mm 2.8 for $29. I shot over 8000 K64 slides with that
combo in the next 2 years. That -2n has served me faithfully for 20
years.
It has never needed any kind on work or service and as I type, it is
sitting next to me in my office, I rarely go anywhere without a camera.
  My current kit consists of: two OM2n, one OM4t. Zuiko's 24mm f2.8, two
50mm f1.8,
two 50mm f1.4, 50mm f3.5 macro, 85mm f2, 100mm f2.8 and my two latest
additions, my $40 40mm f2 and a mint 135mm f2.8 I got off eBay on a $30
Buy It Now deal.
Non Zuiko: 28mm soligor, Viv 70-210 f3.5, Tokina 300mm f2.8, Sigma 400mm
f5.6APO and Tokina 500mm f8 Cat.
Other stuff: T28 twin macro flash, two T32's, BG2, two Winder 2's, plus
cables etc,etc.
  Will it ever end.....I hope not.

later,
mike m.