Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?
From: clark.ll@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:51:11 -0500
In <00ab01c069c8$e440c6c0$068701d4@default>, on 12/19/00 at 02:34 PM,
   "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>The only medium format camera that was sheer enjoyment to use was the
>Linhof Super Technica IV that I borrowed on a regular basis from the
>shop where I worked.

A curious choice -- not one that I'd criticize, since I have one that
paid its own way when I was for a short time an official photographer
for the  physics department when I was in graduate school.

But, the Tecknika is heavy and large, and its rangefinder image is
rather small -- even further limited by the masks needed for, say, 67 x
72 mm format.

I agree that results from it can be astonishing. The 2.8 Xenotar lens I
have is sharp enough to draw blood. The 65 mm Angulon is a "deliberate"
lens, considering the need for considerable stopping down. The
Tele-Arton 180 mm is something of a joy, pretty nearly as sharp as the
Xenotar.

In 1962 I acquired a Rollei 3.5F with a Xenotar, and find that I reach
for it more often than the Technika these days, probably because I'm
just getting old and lazy. Its lens is a blood-letting twin of the
Technika one. No lust for Zeiss from me...

Of course, for sheer enjoyment and portability, nothing beats the Oly!

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa