Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:44:40 +0000
At 20:51 12/19/00 , Les Clark wrote:
>In 1962 I acquired a Rollei 3.5F with a Xenotar, and find that I reach
>for it more often than the Technika these days, probably because I'm
>just getting old and lazy. Its lens is a blood-letting twin of the
>Technika one. No lust for Zeiss from me...

Schneider-Kreuznach is perhaps the second best German lens maker; very hot
on the heels of Carl Zeiss.  The S-K name is not well known among still
camera users, unless you are into Rollei TLR's or M/F SLR's.  They are
probably better known today for superb cinema and projection lenses . . .
within those circles that use such lenses.  S-K's Xenotar is really a
"brother" of the CZ Planar.  "Cousin" wouldn't be strong enough to describe
it.  If you look at cross-section drawings of the two, you can see a very,
very strong similarity.  Among the Rolleiflex users, the consensus is the
Xenotar and Planar are equivalent in quality and performance.  It's just
the CZ name that commands higher prices for those that have the CZ Planar.
I'm not surprised at your Xenotar performance.

Similarly, the S-K Xenar is a CZ Tessar clone.  The Rollei 35's were lensed
with both and the same observation applies.  The Xenar is every bit equal
to Tessar performance.  Likewise, without the CZ name associated with it,
they do not command the price of one with a Tessar.

BTW, B+W filters are made by Schneider-Kreuznach.  An entangled oddity is
B+W's use of Schott glass.  Schott is a major part of the Carl Zeiss
Foundation (Stiftung).

-- John