[OM] OT - Aircraft Photo

Subject: [OM] OT - Aircraft Photo
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:15:55
Cc: imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Chris,

[...]
on a dive attack on a practice range in Germany - Nordhorn.
[...]
I hope someone finds it interesting.

I most definitely do!
The reason why? Well, as a kid I used to live in Oldenzaal, which is some 20 KMs away from Nordhorn. So guess where I spent several Sundays (when the range is not in use!) as a kid... Yes: searching bullets at this very Clausheide (Nordhorn) shooting range!!! Even at present in my attic I still have some 120+ 30mm (A10? Mirage?) shells (all fired), some 80 or so fired 30mm bullets to match these shells, some 50 27mm (Tornado?!?) shells and two fired bullets to match them, some 20 or so 20mm shells, which came with the F5 like type of "chain shackles". Also, I found a few (4 or so) seemingly really old 20mm shells. I'm not certain which plane fired those, but they seem to have dates stamped in the bottom of them, which are (I believe) all from 1943. These shells are much narrower than the F5/F16 type of 20mm shells, are these perhaps from the early days of the shooting range (maybe even some late Spitfires using up some old ammunition left from WWII)???

Anyway, thanks for sharing this picture, I now know a bit what the range looks like from above! :)

Cheers!
Olafo