[OM] OM2000 or OM1? a Hypothetical Case

Subject: [OM] OM2000 or OM1? a Hypothetical Case
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:01:05 -0800
Let's take a hypothetical case: assume there's this guy who lives on the
ocean in southern California, and who is forever worrying about salt in
the air. So much so, that he won't take any of his nice OMs out for a
spin within several miles of the beach. So much so, that his OM gear
remains in a dessicant-laced zero halliburton case 99.90f the time.
This means that he (again, hypothetically,) takes most of his photos with
his wife's cameras, because she is a rational and balanced individual,
doesn't worry over trivia like salt spray, or evidence of a little use on
a camera, and is also under the impression that cameras are for using,
not storing. Let's also assume that this guy starts feeling guilty (for
taking advantage of his wife's gear) and foolish (for never using his own
equipment) and also robbed (of the chance to enjoy this nice OM equipment
that's always locked away). Let's also assume this guy comes across $150
to purchase a "user" OM body, something over which he won't obsess if
there's a little salt or sand nearby. What would you recommend to this
befuddled person? A used OM1? Or a new OM2000? (Assuming he has narrowed
the choice down to one of those two). And, would it make any difference
in your recommendation if you knew this guy wore glasses? (the OM1
allowing light through the viewfinder to give spurious readings--perhaps
the 2000 does this as well?). If you have any recommendations, I'll
certainly pass them along, because I know someone who is very similar to
the person described in what I hope I have made clear is a purely
hypothetical case.