RE: [OM] [OT] Negative scanners...?

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Negative scanners...?
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:10:35 -0600
If you don't have to have 4000 dpi for larger than 8x10 prints, go with a
scanner with 'Digital Ice' dust & scratch removal technology. It will save
you much, much cleanup time on each image you scan.

Nikon and Minolta have that technology, but the Polaroid doesn't.

The top Nikon scanners have a touted dMax of 3.6, and the Polaroid
Sprintscan is 3.4, so the Nikon will have a slight edge here in shadow
detail.

The Nikons top out at 2700 dpi, and I think the Minoltas do too. If you
really need the extra resolution, then the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 is the
only reasonable choice.

For a lower cost scanner, I think it might be hard to beat the HP Photosmart
S20. High quality  2400 dpi scans, and easy to use. Not a bad way to start
until you know what you really need. Others on this list have favored the
Acer Scanwit as an even lower cost alternative.

One more factor to  consider is whether or not you need to scan Kodachrome.
Modern E-6 and C-41 films scan very well on almost all scanners, but on the
two I have owned, the HP and the Nikon, it is almost impossible to get
really high  quality Kodachrome scans. Others on this list with the Polaroid
and Acer scanners claim excellent Kodachrome scans with their hardware.

Now film scanner choice can be a very emotional subject. Don't be too
surprised if this  starts a flame war...

Good luck!

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx