[OM] Sun-Dog Days of Winter

Subject: [OM] Sun-Dog Days of Winter
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:54:26 -0800 (PST)
Here in the middle of corn/soybean country, better
known as Iowa, we have been experiencing some of the
most brilliant Sun-Dogs that the locals have ever
seen.  Sunday morning, one went "full-circle" complete
with spokes.  Absolutely georgous.  We have had three
mornings this week alone with these brilliant optical
phenoms.  (The sundogs were so bright that they were
casting their own shadows).

I've managed to crank out a few pictures of them with
my 24/2.8, but between schedule (driving to work) and
the cold (-50F windchills) kept me from dwelling too
long on compositions.

On a very positive note, with the hard and fast winter
this year the eagles are congregating at the dams with
gusto.  I'm planning on going down to Red Rock Lake in
a few days to do some photographing.  This year I'm
going to experiment with a portable blind--if for no
other reason than to stay warm!

Ken Norton
Somewhere in the middle of Iowa.