Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:33:09 -0600
    I sort of started with photography at an early age. Around four or
five I received a Polaroid camera as a present. I still have faded
memories of that camera and clear memory of the stench of the fixer
stick that came with each pack of film. But like most kids the camera
was set aside for other interests. It was in high school when the photo
bug really bit. A buddy who did some work for the school paper/annual
introduced me to 35mm and medium format cameras, he was using Minolta's
ST-101 and ST-102 and a couple of Mamiya C330's (?)
    It wasn't until the year after I graduated, 1976, that I finally
decided to buy a 35mm camera for myself. I went down to a camera store
in the new "mall" that had opened recently and browsed the show room
cases. Price and the overall quality of the camera were my main two
considerations. A lot of what they had was beyond my budget and I never
really liked the 'feel' or 'sound' of Minolta's. The sales clerk led me
over to a case with "something new that they just got in". The mat the
cameras were sitting on read "Olympus". The camera itself was chrome,
black and small. The clerk put it in my hands and at first I thought
"this thing's too small", then the clerk had me adjust how I was holding
it and suddenly all the controls were within reach of my finger tips.
The rest of the story all of you know, I was in love and blew my budget
on a chrome OM-1md and 50 f/1.4.  A couple of months later I picked up a
75~150 f/4.
    Over the next 20 or so years my kit consisted of an OM-1, 50 f/1.4,
28 f/3.5, 75~150 f/4 (all Zuiko), T32 and winder2 plus a few
accessories. I was happy and oh so satisfied with the resulting photos
and the occasional inquiries from curious people wanting to know what
kind of camera I had, and was I a professional. Then a couple of years
ago the OM-1 started having some problems. The foam was breaking down
and the prism coating was being eaten away. I searched the 'net and
found you guys and John Hermanson. John restored my OM-1 to like new and
you guys and gals infected me with Zuikoholism. Today I have a lot more,
A LOT MORE, equipment and I'm still acquiring more. I have noticed that
I can stave off some urges just by going into my closet and reminding
myself that I have equipment here that I've barely used. Unfortunately,
that doesn't always work, but then look who I'm talking to.....all of
you understand....I can be quiet now. ;-)

Charles Packard